Because we believe that children learn best when they are actively involved, NCCL offers its students many opportunities to immerse themselves in open-ended learning experiences. Structured K-8 curriculum includes: mathematics, reading, writing, social studies, science, Spanish, music, art, physical education, and full recess for all ages.
- Guided, cooperative learning
- Social and emotional skills such as inclusion, empathy, kindness and diversity
- Connections across academics, such as math with history
- Inquiry-based projects, short and long term
- Positive discipline
- Environmental sustainability
Our Philosophy is that children learn best when:
- They are actively involved.
- They use all of their senses to discuss, debate, explore, investigate, create, and gather their own information.
- They study subjects in depth rather than in broad overviews, bringing in information and concepts from related areas.
- They are interested in the topic, are challenged but not frustrated, and are having fun.
Our Curriculum is designed to:
- Rely on non-competitive assessments, not standardized testing.
- Be child centered.
- Be developmentally appropriate.
- Teach key concepts and skills, academic and social.
- Include open-ended learning experiences which have many solutions to one problem.
- Be integrated.
- Respond to children’s needs and interests.